Friday, July 5, 2013

Finding Treasures In Your Personal Library






Little House on the Prairie (Full Color)
Oh the joys of finding treasures in my personal library! The last time I blogged, I wrote about coming across a past summer read, Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse. Well, today I decided to go through and organize more shelves in my bookcase. To my great delight, I found an old set of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on The Prairie series. The set was given to me by my mother-in-law several years ago and is from the early '70's. I felt like a kid as I lifted the book box from the back of my shelf and began to take out the first book in the series, Little House in The Big Woods.

I teach fifth grade, and I am always looking for "new", old books to share with my class. What is really neat about this series is that I remember as a kid watching the Little House on The Prairie television series and reading a few of the books in the series. I loved the story of the Ingalls family, and the setting of the 1800's. I especially liked the one room school house and thinking how fun it would be to be a teacher. I think it is important to share my personal reading history with my class. It helps the students to get some insight to what I like as a reader, as well as how books can really play an important role in our lives.

Today I decided to read through the series again, looking for story elements, and reliving life with the Ingalls. I think sharing books from a simpler time is essential for today's children. I'll blog as I read each book!

Question for you: What was your favorite book as a child?


http://www.littlehousebooks.com/books/bookdetail.cfm?ISBN13=9780061958274

No comments:

Post a Comment