Tuesday, January 8, 2013

 

Classroom pick: The Breadwinner  by Deborah Ellis

I recently began to read The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis to my fifth grade class. Each year I share this book, and the other books in the trilogy, with my class. When I consider the subject matter, I realize that the book deals with many difficult concepts. The unfair treatment of women and girls, as well as the severe treatment of the Taliban toward the people is written in a very realistic manner. I hope the following book review is helpful  I'd love to hear what others think of this book.

Review:

 
Author: Ellis, Deborah
The Breadwinner.

Illus. by Michael Solomon, c.2000, 170p

Description/Genre:
Chapter Book/Realistic/Young Adult Fiction

Summary: Twelve-year-old Parvana enjoyed going to school, living in a nice, loving home, and being a kid. That is until the Taliban--an extreme militia group that rules Afghanistan--took over the city of Kabul. Girls were forbidden to go to school and women from going to work. Women and girls are not even allowed out of the homes unless they are accompanied by a man. These days, Parvana only leaves her family's one room apartment to help her injured father get to the market, where she earns a small amount of money reading for those who cannot. When the Taliban bursts into their apartment one evening, Parvana's father is arrested. The family is unsure of how they will live without a man to earn money and go to the market with to get food. Then, they come up with an idea –now their survival depends on whether Parvana can convince the outside world that she is a boy.

Review:
I have been reading this book to my class for several years. The Breadwinner is a worthwhile, thought-provoking story that will inspire empathy for children like Parvana, who have grown up in the middle of a war. I am always amazed at the children’s reaction when I first introduce the book. They don’t seem too interested, and then after the first two chapters, the students don’t want me to stop reading. This book offers a great opportunity to write family stories, memories, and it also lends itself to a wonderful discussion about how lucky we are in to live in America.

Audience
- Intermediate grades


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment